Posts  / #POST-252880
REDDIT

Should I hold VLO

B
Sep 23, 2026 · 17:50

I currently have around $1,000 invested in Valero Energy (VLO), and with all the recent discussions about a potential oil export ban coming into play, I’m starting to wonder if I should seriously consider selling my shares. The news about the government possibly restricting U.S. oil exports has been circulating a lot lately, and it has me questioning what the smartest move is for my position. Since VLO is an energy company that is heavily involved in refining and exporting, any kind of export ban could directly impact its profitability and overall stock performance. I’m trying to figure out if holding my shares is still a good strategy, or if it makes more sense to exit now before any negative market reactions hit.

It’s tricky because on one hand, $1,000 isn’t a massive investment, but it’s still my hard-earned money and I want to make the right call. If the market reacts badly to an oil export ban, I could lose a chunk of my investment. On the other hand, if the ban ends up not happening or the market overreacts initially and then recovers, I might regret selling too early. This has me really thinking about what the best move is right now: hold, sell, or maybe even wait for more concrete news before taking action.